Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Not forgetting the mountain

No time to blog tonight, so you just get a poem.

Witness

Sometimes the mountain
is hidden from me in veils
of cloud, sometimes
I am hidden from the mountain
in veils of inattention, apathy, fatigue,
when I forget or refuse to go
down to the shore or a few yards
up the road, on a clear day,
to reconfirm
that witnessing presence.
- Denise Levertov

Big project due tomorrow. It's done and it's not even midnight yet. I'm happy with it, proud even. I have figured out how to create podcasts and put them online for use by myself or other teachers. I have learned a lot about stage directions - most of them not Shakespeare's, so they are fluid - and performance, and another lesson integrates that. I have learned what scansion is and how Shakespeare used it to disrupt meter, like in that Richard III wooing scene. That's all in it. So is Chinswing.

Need to rest. I'm sicker than a dog. Eyelids hot, throat scratchy. I can't believe I'll be teaching again on Monday.

No comments: