Monday, November 3, 2008

Wouldn't it be funny if a teacher thought it was Pajama Day at school when it really wasn't?

It's Homecoming Week.

As such, we have theme days every day. I try to show school spirit and participate. Last week, I saw the flier, and immediately registered the fact that Pajama Day was Monday. This is always one of my favorite days, because it's so darn comfortable to wear sleep pants to school! So I did, as I have for the last eight years.

Oops.

I sort of realized as I drove up the parking lot that none of the kids were in pajamas. Hmmm, I thought. That's weird. Maybe just not that much spirit this year. Or maybe the advertising hadn't worked out.

But, it was Support Your Candidate Day, a day to wear political gear.

Oops. Kids gave me weird looks all day. I had to explain myself a hundred times. It was really funny. Totally a thing I would do, too. It was a long silly day, one in which I laughed at myself a lot.

It would be all in fun, except my Department Head was apparently "reprimanded" this afternoon about it. I hope she was kidding about that... my lesson today was tip-top and I literally had 9th graders that didn't want to leave when the bell rang. Yet, that's what I hear in the afternoon... ugh...

Apparently my science teacher friend did the same thing, and I saw a kid or two that made the same mistake. We just didn't get the message that it had changed (in fact, they're scrapping Pajama Day totally, for fear of girls wearing lingerie).

No school tomorrow, for Election Day. For the first time in my life, I'll be voting for a candidate with hardly any cynicism at all.

3 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Well, it was fun, wasn't it? It's always good to laugh at ourselves.

And you're off on Election Day? What a marvelous idea! More school districts ought to shut down on that day, because it really is a big deal.

Teach Baltimore said...

Well, it's sort of a necessity: several of the schools are used as polling places.

Anonymous said...

You always make me laugh, Charlie Brown. What a blockhead!

Just kidding - I think every day should be pajama day. Let the girls wear lingerie, too - woohoo! That would certainly improve attendance, especially among the boys, I bet.