Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Shorts

I taught in shorts today. Yes, that's how hot it was in the school. I'd never wear shorts during the regular school year, but, damn, was I ever glad I did today.

The air temperature hit at least 91 today, with humidity, but I'm pretty sure it was at least 10 degrees hotter in my classroom.

*****

Today I taught that same lesson I started on Monday times #5, #6, and #7. Tomorrow, it's #8 and #9. That should be about the time it gets really good.

*****

It's funny, but my timing gets way off sometimes, probably because I'm finding the need to do things in radically different orders nearly every class period, just to make things fresh. I've also become notorious as the teacher who keeps the kids after the top of the hour, leaving a crowd of kids outside my room waiting for me to stop talking. You do it once, and it happens nearly every class period because it's a cycle that repeats itself.

*****

I met the most interesting kid so far in Summer Bridge today. I wish I could tell you all his first name, because that was pretty interesting in and of itself. But, otherwise, he walked into my room, late, wearing sunglasses. As I am prone to do, I went over and whispered for him to take off his sunglasses and walked away without looking at him, so he didn't feel the need to challenge me on it and could take them off without saving face. Which he did, but he also apologized, rather profusely, and ended up jabbering through much of the first ten minutes of my class. At first, with the profuse apology and constant jabbering, I got the feeling he was some sort of insincere kid, but, after a few minutes, it all clicked, that he was really genuine, that he really wanted to do well. He couldn't shut up at all, but somehow ingratiated himself into my good liking by the time 10:11 rolled around. Seemed a good reader, had some really interesting things to say about the Edwidge Dandicat novel he read over the summer, told me he has to get up at 5:30am to catch the 6:15am bus to get to school every day on time. He's a bundle of energy and will probably take up half my energy every day in his class periods, but I think I'd still be happy to have him on my class list when I get them in a couple of weeks.

One of my favorite parts of that group was this young man playing off a white girl who also read the Dandicat novel. They don't know it yet, but they're both bright active readers who are my favorite kinds of kids. Both wanted to be heard a lot today, both raised their hands for every question, yet their other responses couldn't be more different. I love that sort of variety. Sign them both up for my class in the fall.

Also loved to see the little brothers of several kids I've taught before. Made me feel both old and good at the same time, emotions which, when combined together, make me feel ready for my 31st birthday, which is approaching in one week.

No comments: